How Do REITs Work?
A Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) is a company that owns and manages income-producing real estate properties. REITs enable investors to invest in a diversified portfolio of real estate assets, without having to own or manage them directly.
Here's how REITs work:
- Acquisition of real estate properties: A REIT company raises capital from investors to purchase and manage a portfolio of income-producing real estate properties, such as office buildings, shopping malls, apartments, hotels, and warehouses.
- Rental income: The REIT earns rental income from its properties, which is distributed to shareholders as dividends. REITs are required by law to distribute at least 90% of their taxable income as dividends to investors.
- Capital appreciation: As the value of the properties increases over time, the value of the REIT also increases, providing potential capital appreciation for investors.
- Professional management: REITs are managed by professional real estate managers who are responsible for acquiring, developing, leasing, and managing the properties.
- Publicly traded: REITs are publicly traded on major stock exchanges, allowing investors to buy and sell shares easily like any other stock.
- Different types: There are different types of REITs, including equity REITs, mortgage REITs, and hybrid REITs. Equity REITs invest in income-producing properties, while mortgage REITs invest in real estate mortgages, and hybrid REITs invest in both.
In summary, REITs are a way for investors to gain exposure to real estate investments without having to own or manage the properties themselves. REITs offer potential income and capital appreciation, professional management, and ease of trading through stock exchanges.
Use Hotel 1031 Exchanges to Increase Investment Returns
What Is A Hotel 1031 Exchange? Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) allows an owner of any business or investment property to defer paying federal and state capital gain taxes and depreciation recapture […]
We'd love to guide you through the 1031 process, let us know how we can help!