Talk to an Advisor

Can I Use My IRA To Invest In Foreign Real Estate?

At 1031 Exchange Place, we understand the importance of diversifying your investment portfolio and investing in foreign real estate can be an attractive option. However, using your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to invest in foreign real estate comes with certain restrictions and considerations.

It is possible to use your IRA to invest in foreign real estate, but you must hold the property within a self-directed IRA (SDIRA). A SDIRA allows you to invest in a broader range of assets, including real estate, as it is not limited to traditional investments like stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.

To invest in foreign real estate using your IRA, you’ll need to follow these general steps:

  1. Open a self-directed IRA with a custodian that allows investments in foreign real estate.
  2. Transfer your IRA funds to the newly established SDIRA.
  3. Identify and perform due diligence on the foreign property you wish to invest in.
  4. Direct your SDIRA custodian to purchase the property using the funds in your account.
  5. Manage the property according to the IRS regulations for IRAs.

Keep in mind the following important points:

  • The property must be held for investment purposes only and cannot be used for personal or immediate family use.
  • All income generated from the property (rents, profits from sales, etc.) must be returned to your SDIRA.
  • Expenses related to the property, such as maintenance and property taxes, must be paid from the SDIRA.
  • You cannot personally guarantee a loan to purchase the property, as this would be considered a prohibited transaction. You can, however, use a non-recourse loan to finance the purchase.

It’s essential to consult with a financial advisor, tax professional, and an attorney experienced in foreign real estate transactions before proceeding. They can provide guidance on the feasibility of your investment, the tax implications, and compliance with both U.S. and foreign regulations.

At 1031 Exchange Place, we specialize in 1031 exchanges, which allow investors to defer capital gains taxes when selling one investment property and purchasing another. While 1031 exchanges apply to U.S. real estate, they may not be applicable to foreign real estate investments held in an IRA. Consult with a tax professional to understand the full scope of your options.